Cold Iron or maybe its a Wood?

Re: Cold Iron or maybe its a Wood?

Postby Nick Sleet » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:49 pm

Nick Sleet, trudging up from the diner, hears the faint crashing and drifts behind a convenient tree, hidden weapons at hand. He creeps up to the field and takes in the scene, then laughs, straightens up, and walks out of cover. Heading towards the houses, he stops for a moment and says quietly to Madrigus (so as not to interrupt the others): "Golf? I don't think I would have predicted that; I'm pretty sure you're in violation of the dress code for being too understated."
Nick Sleet - Private Investigator, Diogenes Club

"Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it's going to have to try harder to do me in..."
Nick Sleet

Postby KScar » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:59 pm

"Madrigus, darling, you really should be more careful. I don't think the townsfolk need anymore reason to despise us." Alana chuckled slyly as she sauntered out from the shadows and to Gabriel's side. "And Gabe, there is no reason to press the Marshall. Though it has been quite a while since I've been back, I can assure you that the Pit has not changed much. It is a dull and stagnant place, and certainly not worth rising Mason's ire over." She was careful to keep her demeanor smooth and suave, but she could not completely hide the edge of disdain in her voice. Briefly, she turned her attention back to Madrigus, cocking an eyebrow as she watched him stroke at the tome. "Good evening, Sleet, you're looking well." She flashed him a sly grin and eyed him playfully as he approached.
"What makes a man a man... Is it his origins? The way he comes to life? I don't think so. It's the choices he makes. Not how he starts things, but how he decides to end them."

O.R.: Alana Kain
KScar

Postby Ariel » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:02 pm

Gabriel opens his mouth to respond to Mason, then he pushes off from his tree suddenly as Madrigus begins speaking the first lines of the poem, moving from calculated nonchalance to arm's reach of Madrigus. He speaks softly, without malice, so that only Mason and Madrigus might hear.

"If you value your life, Madrigus, stop there. That poem is not safe to speak aloud. Not here in Whisper Hill, not where Alice might hear you and lash out without thinking. There is danger in invoking that bête noire."

Gabriel glances down to his bindings and sighs heavily.

"Especially when her vorpal sword is still trapped in its sheath. I'd rather not have to go snicker-snack, not before I've learned why I'm here. If you catch my meaning."

So saying, he settles back, watching again. "Please, heed this warning. I do not make it lightly." Then his attention turns to Mason. "As I promised you before, I did not ask this question to harass you. I may be a monster, but I am one of my word." He sighs. "Not that I'd expect you to believe me. At any rate, whoever I was before, I suspect that I, too -- or perhaps this body? it is unclear -- had some connection to the Infernal before I became what I am now."

Gabriel moves back to leaning against his tree. "Like I said before, I know nothing from before I was Bound. My memories start the night that Alice killed the cult that brought me here and became my Keeper, and the years of chasing her afterwards are hazy at best. I asked because I don't understand what I am and I desire greatly to know. All I have is a heart black as sin, a penchant for sass, and this charm around my neck, and that's not nearly enough to go on."
Last edited by Ariel on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel

Postby Madrigus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Madrigus stuck his tongue out at Gabriel. "Excuse me for attempting to mind my own business, Gabriel, but it's the only poem I know by heart. I'll learn 'the Hunting of the Snark' if it pleases you, though it's dreadfully long. And confusing."

He turned gratefully at the sound of new feet approaching, and gave Nick and Alana a dazzling smile. " Aye, golf. If you tour Scotland you can't avoid learning the game." His smile grew a little tepid at Alana's comment, however. "I've a feeling they're never going to like us anyway." He turned back briefly to hand Mason his club, then returned his attention to Nick. "Underdressed?" He glanced down. "Well, these are the only clothes I own, so, aye, I guess I'm underdressed." He laughed heartily.
"Desperation will turn any mortal to the darkest secrets hidden in the darkest vaults."
-Madrigus (Brendan)
[*Deadbolt from Lost Eidolons]

Point Total: 2,650
Madrigus

Postby Ariel » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:19 pm

Gabriel shrugs. "I don't know the details myself. I just know that that story is something Alice has powerfully internalized, and I, for one, wouldn't go pushing the buttons of the Damaged if I liked my skin where it was. Anyway." Setting aside that topic, Gabriel regards the newcomers to the party.

"Good to see you, Alana, Nick." An incline of the head to each in turn. "I'm not intending to rile anyone up. I just want to understand. I gather that it's a little odd, but, well, I've been isolated for a long time.

As to whether or not the rest will like us...well, I'm sure we'll think of something. Someday." A snerk. "If we even decide we care. Hah!"
Ariel

Postby Nick Sleet » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:47 pm

Nick smirks at Alanna's comment, saying in a deliberately bad British accent "Pish tosh! My butler will be in shambles over the state of my jacket."

Turning back to Madrigus, he clarifies "Not underdressed, understated. If you painted the bottom of the robe in 3 different clashing shades, I believe that would qualify for basic golf gear. Or so I'm told."

He nods to Gabriel and Mason."Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt the conversation. I was just rather surprised to see golf clubs actually being used for their intended purpose in Whisper Hill. Does that make me a cynic?" The last is said with a somewhat twisted grin.

He cocks his head in curiosity "Whose being riled up? I mean other than the local homeowners in need of window replacement..."

"Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it's going to have to try harder to do me in..."
Nick Sleet

Postby Wolfman2006 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:29 am

Mason gives an attempt of a friendly nod towards the Alana and Nick, its clear his heart isn't in it. He lowers his arm during the added side conversations, as he turns back towards Gabriel he matches his softer volume maintaining their privacy.

"There is a saying: don't question when you won't like the answer. If there is one thing I have learned about Demonology is that when it comes to the Infernal: there are no good answers. Clarity and understanding can be more dangerous than ignorance. You want to understand your purpose, or how and why you are here... you and everyone around you for that matter; might be better off not knowing."

Mason sighs, he definitely seems more alive than he did earlier; now he just looks worn and tired. He turns back towards the now assembled group. He had pointedly ignores Alana's comments, but he does not demonstrate any negative reaction to her words. To Nick he offers half a smile while speaking.

"No one is being riled up. And I suppose if that makes you a Cynic, than so am I. Thats the entire reason I was out here failing at hitting the stupid little balls in the first place."

"Madrigus, Nick does have a good point... if you need clothes hell I'll even give you some of mine if need be. You really stick out, and lets be honest you and all of us non-natives here in Whisper Hill don't need any more attention than necessary. We already have far too much of that."
Mason Fell
Played by Adam Hurley
AKA:Father Solomon Sahaal, Berek Son of Bjorn, Acerbus-Nox, Mugthar, Abraham Hawthorne, Malcolm Hunt
Wolfman2006

Postby Madrigus » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:55 am

"But I like my robe," Madrigus huffed. "It's warm, comfortable, has a nice hood, and I can tuck my arms in the sleeves. There's nothing wrong with it at all. If you really think I should 'modernize' I suppose the attempt could be made, but I seriously doubt anything could be as comfy as this robe.

"Besides, most of the modern clothing is ghastly, so just because Nick here decides to look like a gorilla doesn't mean I have to as well. No offense, Nick," he finished cheerfully, then he frowned. "Although there seems to be a collective of young girls who insist that I'm wearing a hooded dress. I wouldn't know what to wear! I mean," he added, glancing at Nick's and Mason's ties, "the cravat was replaced by those ugly things. The ascot I understood, but those? They're just ridiculous bits of cloth that look more like hangmen's nooses than anything else."
Last edited by Madrigus on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Desperation will turn any mortal to the darkest secrets hidden in the darkest vaults."
-Madrigus (Brendan)
[*Deadbolt from Lost Eidolons]

Point Total: 2,650
Madrigus

Postby KScar » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:22 am

Alana tries, but can't quite contain a chortle at Sleet's comment and poor accent. "Not a cynic, Nick, just a realist. And I don't even want to think about how horrid that would look!" She made a point to ignore Mason, much more interested in the amusing issue of Madrigus's attire. "I don't know, while I am rather fond of a man in a suit, there is something rather comforting in seeing you prance around in those old fashioned robes. It reminds me of the good old days when politics were much more exciting and people had the decency to get up close and personal when they tried to kill you. However, if you wished, I would be more than happy to assist in updating your wardrobe. Who knows, it might be fun." Alana winked at Madrigus, she was quite enjoying this little distraction.
"What makes a man a man... Is it his origins? The way he comes to life? I don't think so. It's the choices he makes. Not how he starts things, but how he decides to end them."

O.R.: Alana Kain
KScar

Postby Nick Sleet » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:42 am

Nick cocks an eyebrow at Madrigus' comments, but says only "They are an inconvenience in a fight certainly. Or around Aurora. But they do serve to seal the more open parts of the shirt to prevent some of the cold. And of course they can be useful for blending in in certain environments."

He listens to Alana for a minute.

"Well the politics aren't as immediately bloody as in the history books, but they are certainly more byzantine. Global non-state actors, mega-corps, competing funding sources, propaganda mills, all serve to make the politics far more exhilarating to dip into, if you can get below the surface. And tracing the patterns, finding the hidden influences, these things grant a great deal of power."

He shrugs, looking back to Mason.

"I hear you on the meditation in normality. I go to the range when I can; shooting clears my head a bit, though its certainly not something I could get away with on the town green. But then, normal is all a matter of perspective, isn't it? In our professions, walking into rooms covered in blood could be seen as a normal part of the routine, but to many civilians it's the height of abnormality. That's partially what concerns me about this place; I can't quite nail down what the locals consider to be the normal order of things, and they don't appear to be interested in sharing that worldview with outsiders."

Nick Sleet

PreviousNext

Return to Main Street