[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4771: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
Occams Razor • View topic - The Next Day

The Next Day

Re: The Next Day

Postby Nick Sleet » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:01 pm

"I agree with both of you; I meant more along the lines of presenting the headcount in such a way so as not to imply that we're drafting people or forcing them into anything," Nick says, finishing off the nutri-grain bar and looking around for a water source, "Knowing in general who can do what is a really good idea."
Nick Sleet - Private Investigator, Diogenes Club

"Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it's going to have to try harder to do me in..."
Nick Sleet

Postby Henry Gondorf » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:45 pm

"How about a head count. Period." Henry said as he slid his notes into his pocket. "So far on this island: we have paramilitary forces stomping around, a still undetermined number of animals infected by some such disease, a local population who is either holed up in their homes or avoiding us like the plague, a as yet determined group with a hell of knack for making people go boom, the presence of the Asian syndicates for whatever the reason, and a as yet determined number of convicts running around who make Doctor Banner look like Gandhi. Oh, then there is all of us making up one dozy of a branch from Mystery Inc." It was hard to say all that an not allow his own incredulous disbelief break into his tone somewhat.

He took a breath before continuing. "Maybe rather than making a big deal about it, why not just strike up a conversation? True; you might not get more than the high hat from some but it may put others at ease. Last I saw in there, the more formal a request is the more likely people are going to take it the wrong way. Just say'n."
People come to me looking for the truth as it suits them. They look for a happy ending to their troubles. Too bad for them. I don't do happy. As to putting an end to things, The Truth often does a fine job with out me.
Henry Gondorf

Postby sndwurks » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Having spent the last several minutes sipping bad coffee and wandering a bit aimlessly, Billy glances once more towards the fire at the latest turn of the conversation. He turns one last time towards the water, and then heads up towards it. He lifts his free hand in a slight wave as he approaches, flashing a light smile.

"Sorry to intrude, but I overheard part of what you said," offers the investigator with a nod towards Henry. "The part about the local population? I was thinking about taking a walk around the island, check up on the Sheriff and the other locals. The tribe has a few people here, and there are a handful of others. I want to make sure they're doing alright."

Billy lifts a hand to rub the scar on his temple lightly, brow furrowing.

"Someone might have even have a kayak or a canoe they'd be willing to lend," he adds.
sndwurks

Postby Henry Gondorf » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:16 am

Henry nods in agreement at what Mr. St. Frances added. "It might also help to get an exchange going with the locals. They might help make some sense of certain details."

"At the very least," He added, "They can help keep us from jumping to conclusions. Of all things now, we can't be staring at shadows on a cave wall thinking we know what is making them. Hell, if our luck is in we might find trusty ole telephone line we might get a call out with." Henry tucks his hands into his jacket. He turned to Billy. "You have a heading there, Chief?"
People come to me looking for the truth as it suits them. They look for a happy ending to their troubles. Too bad for them. I don't do happy. As to putting an end to things, The Truth often does a fine job with out me.
Henry Gondorf

Postby sndwurks » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:57 am

"I can stop by the Sheriff's office, and probably pick up a map of the island," offers Billy with a glance towards Henry. "It might not be open, but it's the best shot we have of getting a map with houses on the like. We're not going to be lucky on the phones, though. Most of the power lines and phone lines on islands like this go through the bridges. With the bridges gone, both are probably out all over the island. And even satellite phones don't like getting reception out this way."

He turns back towards the group at the fire.

"Anything else people want me to look for while I'm heading about?"
sndwurks

Postby Eden Jones » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:00 am

Eden leaned against a tree and looked over at Billy. "Mr. St. Francis, are you planning to tour the island alone, or are you going to bring some backup? I'd offer, but I'm not sure if I'll be any help. I can shoot a gun, and swing a baton, but I'm much better with talking than fighting off the hideousness that's been trying to kill us here. Still, I'd feel better knowing you were safe."

She looks over to Nick, "As to the relic, I'm not sure. Gus, do you know where it ended up?"
“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”
― Winston Churchill
Eden Jones

Postby Gus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:39 am

Gus stands, finishes his Pepsi, and gestures towards the Rec Hall, "The Hand of St. Ethan is being held by a Jan Grey, somewhere within." He shakes his head in frustration and continues, "I must say that I am extremely uncomfortable with taking a powerful item such as that relic-- and do not mistake me, as it does have the power to bring the dead back to life-- and carrying it around in plain view or hiding it poorly under a hat. Did I mention that it glows?"

Gus closes his eyes, takes a deep breath, and his voice softens, "You did not see what defiled the shrine last night, but I did. Undead came at us in waves, led by someone who I can only assume wanted that relic for it's own purposes and may be back for it again. I will not allow that relic to fall into the wrong hands. We absolutely must find a safer place for it, which doesn't include carrying it onto a battlefield."

"I do not want it for myself, for it does not belong to me, you, or any one group of people, but to everyone. It's uses are limited and who among us decides who lives and who dies? I would not think that it should be in the hands of the few, nor any person's, and I strongly believe that any such decision should be put on the community, if at all. I would be much happier depositing it in a more secure location first, however."
Gus

Location: Trapped in another dimension for all time in unending agony.

Postby Jynx » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:55 am

"I didn't mean to offend you Gus. I didn't see what you did. And you clearly believed it. I can not believe that 34 years of evidence that the supernatural does not exist can be undone overnight. I do not have all the evidence yet to make any conclusions one way or the other. Whatever the relic may or may not do, if it was the focus of an attack, then is evidence in the attack that happened last night and needs to be treated as such. Not saying I'm going to go confiscate it or anything just that evidence lockers aren't easy places to get into and the sheriff seems nice enough to work with us."

"I think I'll go start a list for those willing to come forward with their skill set. That has been shown to help people survive in strange predicaments before. If anyone here wishes to come forward with your skills feel free to have an aside with me over here"

Dr. Rue gets up and steps off to the side for a moment.
Dr. Elizabeth Rue

If the world ends, I intend to have been a part of it. The world I mean, not the ending of it...you know what I mean.
Jynx

Postby Nick Sleet » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:23 am

"I think that's what Kar's doing inside the Rec Hall, Dr. Rue," Nick says, getting up to his feet and brushing himself off. "For myself, I'd like to accompany Mr St. Francis at least part of the way, if you have no objection," he adds, nodding in Billy's direction, "I can add a gun or three to the mix in case the animals or worse are out, and talking with the sheriff and the locals sounds like a great idea for getting a feel for what else may be out there on this wretched island."
Nick Sleet - Private Investigator, Diogenes Club

"Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it's going to have to try harder to do me in..."
Nick Sleet

Postby sndwurks » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:04 am

Glancing between Rue and Gus, Billy lifts an eyebrow slowly. Letting the topic of the relic go untouched for the moment, he turns his attention towards Nick and Eden. He gives another quick smile, and tips his head.

"Myself and two others should be good enough to make a run to the Sheriff's office," says Billy easily. "Most of the convicts should... not be a problem after what happened last night, likely. As for the... sick animals, they seemed more aggressive at night. I'd honestly be more worried about the gangsters I heard about. And if they have been dealing with half of the problems we have, they may be happy if we just try to talk."

He shrugs slightly, and chuckles once.

"And please. Just Billy. Nobody calls me Mr. St. Francis outside of a courtroom. It feels weird."
sndwurks

PreviousNext

Return to The Rec Hall