[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4771: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
Occams Razor • View topic - Inspiration

Inspiration

Re: Inspiration

Postby Jacob » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Interesting... interesting... wouldn't surprise me if it's linked in with the Indian story cited in Rappaccini's Daughter...
Jacob

Postby Mike Natale » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:33 pm

-The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
Mike Natale

Postby Jacob » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:52 pm

...wait, did the title of the movie change from "Legend of the Eight Samurai" to "Legend of the Eight Ninjas" between the beginning and end of that trailer? I'm pretty sure it did...
Jacob

Postby Madrigus » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:45 am

That is indeed exactly what I was thinking of!
"Desperation will turn any mortal to the darkest secrets hidden in the darkest vaults."
-Madrigus (Brendan)
[*Deadbolt from Lost Eidolons]

Point Total: 2,650
Madrigus

Postby ken » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Well, Shadowrun was really a blending of Earthdawn (which I played back in the day) and Gibson. So, a lot of our Cyberpunk was definitely influenced by his works (like Neuromancer) and its contemporaries (Snow Crash and Diamond Age by Stephenson, for instance). I'm also a huge fan of "Old World of Darkness", the Dresdenverse, X-files... and a lot of other stuff you guys haven't caught yet. And, hopefully won't until it's far, far too late.

And yes, Lovecraft is very popular with pretty much all the Staff :).
ken

Postby Steve » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:03 pm

I looked at Shadowrun, and the setting is pretty interesting. Something I might dive into at some point. I've also heard quite a bit about Lovecraft from friends... oh the horror.
-The Shadow Persons
Steve

Postby gaelicwolf » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:39 pm

So, clearly Highlander was an inspiration for Strain 117.

My question then is whether the inspiration came from the original movies, or the TV series.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

- Hamlet (1.5.166-7)

Dr. Conner Lachlann - University of Cambridge

~Greg (IRL), Leander Warrick & Charles Ryker (LE), Alaric Slayde (CS)~
gaelicwolf

Postby Madrigus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:31 am

I'm interested in hearing where inspiration for Strain 117 came from, aside from Highlander, of course.
"Desperation will turn any mortal to the darkest secrets hidden in the darkest vaults."
-Madrigus (Brendan)
[*Deadbolt from Lost Eidolons]

Point Total: 2,650
Madrigus

Postby Steve » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:45 pm

The degenerates seem rather... vampirific. I don't know specifically what brand of vampire is the inspiration, but they definitely look like vampires.
-The Shadow Persons
Steve

Postby Aurora » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:02 pm

When I day dream about Occam's Razor, I have visions of Rick Deckard mixing with Harry Dresden and a sprinkling of Charlie McGee to taste.

I really can't express how excited I am about it.
Always in the market for a good Robotic Governess.
Aurora

PreviousNext

Return to OOG Discussion