Spring Morning

Re: Spring Morning

Postby kimp » Fri May 08, 2015 2:59 pm

:: Liberty falls in with them, keeping pace. Her gaze skews from time to time, assessing their surroundings, and her lips move infinitesimally as she counts beneath her breath in time with her shifting gaze ::

:: She listens as they speak, though it's clear her focus is divided. Then she turns to Henry and says ::
Silymarin.
:: there's a long pause as she looks at him, then she adds ::
Milk thistle. It regenerates liver tissue. Also,
:: she makes a gun with her fingers and touches the tip of her chin at a slight upwards angle ::
Imagine the line of a shot. Where it comes out of the top of your head is a pressure point that helps hangovers. If you put your finger there you should feel a very slight indent when you find the right spot. Apply pressure for two minutes, steady or pulsing. Then drink water to flush the toxins ::

:: Another short pause, then she slants a glance at the doctor ::
I don't like white coats, but I'm also not big on pain. Acupressure.
:: beat. Beat. ::
And silymarin.

:: that said she goes back to the quiet and assessment of their surroundings. Then she stops dead in her tracks and turns to Dr. Kennigan ::
I have this theory. About helpless princesses. Do you think all women intrinsically want to be rescued? Even when they are capable of rescuing themselves? Does the fact that people want to save them make them feel special?
:: there's a subtle pause before she adds ::
I do understand sarcasm, but I often suspect there's also a kernel of meaning at the root of such statements.
Liberty Blue
aka kim
kimp

Postby Henry Gondorf » Sat May 09, 2015 3:18 pm

It was Henry's turn to laugh. When Liberty made the gesture for the pressure point, the irony hit him like a brick to the head. He snorted a bit before reining himself in. "Sorry about that. Never expected more than one kind of mercy from that spot. Suddenly '.45 Caliber Aspirin' seems a bit more honest."

Liberty's observation on the euphemisms helped clear away a few cobwebs. He smiled.

"Hell of ah insight there, Lib. My two bits says everyone needs saving at some point. We all get caught between a rock and a hard place. The question is whether the rescue we need comes from within ourselves or at the hands of friends."

He looked at Dr. Kennigan with mock surprise."Doctor, almost sounds like you're worried about a gumshoe like lil'old me." He said amusedly. He worked some of the stiffness out of neck as they walked.
People come to me looking for the truth as it suits them. They look for a happy ending to their troubles. Too bad for them. I don't do happy. As to putting an end to things, The Truth often does a fine job with out me.
Henry Gondorf

Postby Ellie Kennigan » Tue May 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Sometimes, Liberty was terribly, terribly awkward. Gun gesture to illustrate a pressure point? Effective, but not Ellie's first choice. She smirks and shakes her head. The next line of questioning regarding princesses gives the doctor pause though, and her brow furrows in thought. Being an athletic type, Ellie might be one of the last women voted 'princess' in Whisper Hill, but...

She nods in agreement with Henry's response, and adds, "And on the point of who does the saving, I'd have to say so far my track record is on the saving side rather than the being rescued." She says it casually, but there could be more to it. "So who knows. But... I'm sure a girl likes a fairy tale every once in a while. No shame in that."

"Worried? Pff, worried," Ellie sputters, though it's clearly true to some extent. "More like I like sleeping through the night not getting woken up at odd hours by you lot who don't stay indoors when you should."
Eleanor R. Kennigan, M.D.
Whisper Hill
Ellie Kennigan

Postby Henry Gondorf » Wed May 13, 2015 12:06 am

"Oh come on now, Doctor. There is a vast difference between someone like me tying one on and, lets say, Sally. See, if a drop of the beast should ever get the better of me you can find me sleeping through the worst of it. Quiet as you please." Henry stated as though it is a scientific fact. The smile gave it away.

"Someone like Sally on the other hand. I think folks help him to bed for the same reasons you hold dear. They don't fancy waking up to find the racket outside is Sally going yard on a grizzly with the bloody end of some goons arm. You need coffee and donuts for that sort of thing and there ain't no Dunk'ns nearby."

Henry's smile curdled a bit at the mention of fairy tales and rescues. "A Fairy Tale ending, sure. But I think we all found the Brothers Grimm hit too close to home with their stories."

Henry looked to Liberty. "What's your take on the matter of damsels in distress? Still waters run deep and you look mighty tranquil about now."
People come to me looking for the truth as it suits them. They look for a happy ending to their troubles. Too bad for them. I don't do happy. As to putting an end to things, The Truth often does a fine job with out me.
Henry Gondorf

Postby kimp » Wed May 13, 2015 2:17 pm

I think…

:: she pauses, her gaze skewing down and to the side and her head cocking slightly before looking up and continuing the thought ::

Sometimes it is the strongest people who can need saving, only perhaps they don’t know how that works. So, they have to be put into a situation of true peril, where their power is completely denied them and they have to say “I need help”.

:: The corner of her lips quirks on a miniscule smile ::

I think the stronger you are, the more restrictive a damsel role you have to be forced into before you can accept that. I think some people have been told it’s okay to be vulnerable and they may be the ones that, mentally, need to be rescued the least. Others of us…

:: a shrug ::

At least, that’s one angle on the situation. I also think that if you are someone who isn’t certain of where you stand with others, being rescued can be reassuring. There you are in a situation where you think ‘well, I don’t think anyone cares enough to rescue me; guess I’m done for.’

:: Another half shrug ::

You know, if you can’t rescue yourself.

:: A lift of the brows ::

Anyhow, there you are thinking that no one cares and you are alone and then all of the sudden there are people there to help you. If you are someone who feels isolated that can be fairly empowering.

:: her voice trails off and her gaze clouds for a moment, then she blinks and gives a rueful half-smile ::

And sometimes it might be nice to have someone come along and say, “Hey, I know you are strong and can probably rescue yourself but I’m here and… you know… you don’t have to be strong or do this alone, this once.” Sometimes you don’t realize you are carrying a burden until someone takes it from you.

:: she blinks and focuses on the doctor and Henry ::

Was that an answer?

:: her gaze goes elsewhere and she says, more to herself or maybe the air ::
I'm not sure all princesses can be saved.
Liberty Blue
aka kim
kimp

Postby Henry Gondorf » Thu May 14, 2015 12:28 am

Henry clicked his tongue and gave Liberty a thumbs up.

"That is indeed a hell of an answer."

Henry kept his smile even as the last of Liberty's observation hit home. Sometimes you have to smile in the face of truth.
Henry Gondorf

Previous

Return to Lake's Edge