You Can't Spell Fundraising Without Fun!

You Can't Spell Fundraising Without Fun!

Postby Matt » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:14 am

A deputy strides into the AAA, papers in hand and a wide half-smile on his face as he strides from one side of the building to the other. As he approaches the common area- or what appears to be a common area near a roaring fire- he turns to address the patrons currently in the diner.

"Hey everyone!"

While the din simmers, it doesn't quite cease. It never seems to the first time.

"Hey!" he shouts again and, realizing he has gained as much attention as he is going to, he continues

"My name's Deputy Tyler Donnelly. I met a couple-a you a week or two ago, so- nice to see you again. While I was talking to a couple of you out-of-town folks, an idea got bounced around to do a little fundraising to help us out with some odds and ends in the town in regards to our budget. I thought that was nice of you all that suggested it and brought it back to the Sheriff and Mayor Olmstead. They figured- well, any help is good help."

He turns to the mantle of the fireplace, affixing the papers with a tack from his other hand. Face flush from the heat of the fire, he returns his attention to anyone listening.

"In about a week or so, we're gonna hold an auction. After talking with Ms. Jones and one or two other folks, it seemed like if this drummed up enough interest, it could at least do a little good for the community, monetarily and morale-wise.

If you got something that you might be willing to part with or something like a, uh, like a service or something you could provide? Maybe you give good tours or you're good company. Maybe you write love poetry or something for those of us- um- folks that can't really do it that well themselves? Just feel free to jot it down on this sign-up sheet. I know some of the locals will be around, and there might be some other out-of-towners from Colebrook and the like. The Sheriff just asked me to let you know-"

He tugs a small piece of paper from his shirt pocket, chuckling a nervous cadence as he unfolds it.

"Keep it appropriate and remember who you're selling to. They'll know what I me-"

Tyler chuckles again, realizing he's read a bit too far. He crumples the paper and shoves it into his pocket.

"So, um- if we get enough interest, there should be some compensation or a cut or something for the folks auctioning stuff off. Oh yeah, and if you just want to sell some stuff like baked goods or anything and then donate some of the proceeds, that's fine! Like I said: every bit of help is good.

If you want to help out, just- sign up on this sheet here. You can just let us know at the Sheriff's Office, too. I'm there pretty much all the time. It gets real busy this time of year..."

As the deputy trails off, he takes a deep breath, processing something but not quite reaching a conclusion. He shakes his head, the half-smile returning as he starts back toward the exit, giving a "thanks for your time" as he heads for the door.

(OOG: if you'd like to take part in an auction/flea market/bake sale, feel free to send your offering via PM to me or to staff@occamsrazorlarp.com to 'sign up')
Matt

Re: You Can't Spell Fundraising Without Fun!

Postby Casidhe Cool » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Can we have a list of the winners? I can't remember if I won one or both things I tried for... ^_^''
Casidhe Cool

Postby Matt » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:53 am

While it's been weeks since the exuberance of the silent auction, the overheard question that Casidhe had posed does not go unanswered.

In the days before a certain sheriff's birthday, Tyler Donnelly, clad in a blue-argyle sweater vest and button down rather than his usual tan and black uniform, bounds into the diner, a paper in his hands. It crinkles as he rushes to attach it to the mantle where some time ago, he had posted pages with similar fonts and print for the upcoming auction.

"Sorry- for the- wait," he pauses each time he checks a pocket in his jeans, producing a small roll of tape and, with a forced grin, fastens the paper to the fireplace in familiar fashion. He backs away, watching the list for a moment before turning to anyone in the diner around, feigning composure. His mussed hair and labored breath belie his attempts at appearing calm, however.

"I know you folks've been waiting for this and, um, it's my first day off in a while," he starts to excuse, tucking his hands into his pockets, "This new restaurant opened up across town- the Ashcroft Tavern? Anyone heard of it? It's a nice place for a- a date." His cheeks bloom scarlet as he turns to the sheet hanging behind him, then back to anyone listening, "That's actually where the dates that were arranged during the auction will be taking place. It'll be open in a month or two officially..." He trails off, preoccupied by some thought. He gives another smile, moving on to business, "Those of you who won, unless you cancel soon, will have your credits withdrawn to be put toward the rebuilding of Whisper Hill after the recent arson incidents... and those of you who donated, expect a piece of the credits to go toward your accounts shortly, too. Um, and without further rambling- here is the list of winners from the auction."

With a look around as he starts for the door, he sees the coast is clear and adds, "Hope to see you all in a few days!" He exits in the same fervor he entered the diner in, a whirlwind of energy with a purpose.

The paper reads as follows:

Date with Ellie Kennigan
JD Walker - 10 credits

Date with Levi O'Brian
Maxwell - 16 credits

Fishing with John Marner
Casidhe - 12 credits

Gary's Poetry
JD Walker - 5 credits

Nothing
Jackal - 1 credit (in neat handwriting, this is followed with "is this a donation?")

Tea with Charles Kennigan
Thomas Tenfield - 25 credits

Date with Donovan Pierce
TD - 40 credits

Catered Party from Eden Jones and Tyler Donnelly
Ondrej - 15 credits

Hunting Trip with the Winters'
Mr. Jones - 15

Book from Thomas Tenfield
Levi - 3 credits

Drawing from Dr. Wilder
Casidhe - 5 credits

Therapy Sessions from Dr. Wilder (3)
Maxwell - 3 credits

Dinner Catered by Liberty Blue
Aurora - 10 credits

Makeover from Jackal
(something that has been erased)
Maxwell - 15 credits

Electronic Repairs by Maxwell for 1 Year
JD Walker - 5 credits

Adventure with Eugene Jackson
Rook - 7 credits
Matt

Postby Sally » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:45 pm

Sally Lautner, somewhat scuffed up and flaked with some old blood here and there, gives a nod to Tyler.

His eyes are hazy for a moment, and then sharp has he looks over something high up on the list. He settle some, and starts to turn away...

"Hey, what n' the blue hell is this here bit about a make-over? I didn't buy no makeover..."
Salvador "Sally" Lautner
GySgt., USMC (ret.)

"All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach."

LL: Shaw LaMont
5G: Landry Saulteaux
Mad3: Luther Soren Wysen!
IRL: Scott LaTour
Sally

Postby Matt » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:08 am

Before the door can close behind him, Tyler is back inside the diner. He strides up to the list, stopping briefly in front of the bewildered with an apologetic smile, "Sorry, Sally. Lot of jokers and whatnot making bids. Offering things that don't belong to them. Stuff like that... like Mr. Marner and Ellie."

He chuckles, shaking his head with a shrug, "They're still holding up their end of the bargain, though. Don't worry!"

After consulting a small notepad that he has pulled from his pocket, he erases something and writes something over it in its place.

"Guess that means Maxwell wins the makeover from Jackal, then!" he announces, turning to the diner, "I'm kind of impressed that the guys in this town are so interested in sprucing up. Can't say I expected that." He gives a chuckle before giving a nod to Sally, "i was definitely surprised to see your name on there. Figured it might be a joke on you, but I got you covered."

Tucking his pencil and pad into his jeans again, he starts back to the exit.
Matt

Return to AAA Diner