[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4771: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
Occams Razor • View topic - Working for a future

Working for a future

Re: Working for a future

Postby ronfiction » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:00 pm

Lou's eye twitches at the mention of him not being a local. He considers addressing for a moment but lets it go like some many other things.

"If that is what is called on me to do."

Lou answers the first question in a calm tone, trying to match Billy's lack of warmth.

"I can't do what Gus could. So I will do what I can instead. As for my talk with V. Sometimes you just talk to people and things get out of hand. I didn't go down to the lake fixing for a fight, or a hospital visit Billy. I usually don't go looking for that anywhere, even if the jets fans are getting uppity."

Lou says and considers what he knows about Billy for a moment. He looks to his stiff shoulders and listens to the wood creek under his elbows, the sounds of wood on wood almost.

"Billy, I'm not a smart man. I'm not a particularly deep one either. But I'm going to do what I think I need to do to make sure that the world is gonna keep spinning. I can't think about it too much, or else I'll second guess myself."
"Killing a thing doesn't make you a monster. Killing a thing that don't need killing makes you a monster."
ronfiction

Postby sndwurks » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:55 pm

"I know all about how talking with people can get out of hand, Lou," offers Billy in an attempt at sympathy. "But I need to know what's going to happen before it does, if you can wrap your head around that. In a lot of ways, you're a heavy weight on the scales around here. There are some people who would follow you, Lou... and knowing you means knowing what they'll do."

The fetch takes another deep breath, letting it out slowly.

"And now, I know better what is going to happen," he comments quietly. His gaze drops from Lou, staring at the booth table between them. He seems to be weighing something in his head, shifting things around until the pieces fit again. It is a moment of deep thought, but only a moment. His eyes lift back up to meet Lou's eye.

"Has it occurred to you that it is possible that what the folks around here have been doing for the last 50 years is the wrong thing?" asks Billy simply. "Now, I'm not saying we need to stand against them when the time comes... they're my tribe, after all. My place is with them, and I will die defending them if it comes to it. But are you comfortable doing what... is going to be done knowing that it is possible that we're just making it worse?"
sndwurks

Postby ronfiction » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:20 pm

"like I said; I try not to second guess myself Billy. I've made a decision after looking at the options and now, I'm going to go through with it."

Lou said, his tone taking on an anger edge.

"Folks put their faith in a lot of different things. God, gods, money, people, hell; the Chicago Cubs havnt won the World Series since 1907. That means there have been people who were born and raised cubs fans, watched ever single game. Lived a full life and died before their team ever won a championship during their life time. That's faith man. Pure and simple. I believe in a lot of different things. Jesus is my savior, Tom Brady is the greatest quarter back of all time and if we don't do something when the clock strikes 12, then we're all gonna die."

Lou says and seemingly hits a ranting stride.

"And another thing Billy, I'm getting sick of you treating me like I don't know anything, or like you get to decide what I know or do. That other night when you tried to shoo me from that situation with sally and penance was bull shit. No one put you in charge of me. Now, I understand that there are some of you folks who instead of learning real stuff like how to fix a car opted to do magic or some bull shit, and that I don't know much about that sort of stuff. But I'm getting real tired of all you weirdos treating us normal folk like children."

Lou said and narrowed his one good eye at Billy.

"There's gonna come a day were you wish you had more guys like me around. When some real big mess happens and you put your faith in some bum playing at being a wizard and the mess that needs cleaning actually needed a janitor to fix."
"Killing a thing doesn't make you a monster. Killing a thing that don't need killing makes you a monster."
ronfiction

Postby sndwurks » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:48 pm

"Lou, the reason I stand between you and the Penance is because that is, by definition, my job," says Billy simply. "You fix broken signs, clean floors, and repair things. I stand between you and spirits, so you don't hurt them and they don't hurt you. It's the same job Marner has, but I don't see you giving him lip for not telling us everything. That's what shaman do, Lou. We keep secrets, because no one should know everything. It honestly has nothing to do with you. It's just the job."

The shaman narrows his gaze on Lou, expression not angry but... tired.

"And maybe we treat you like a child because you treat us like freaks, Lou. Congratulations, you got to have a normal life up until you came here. Woo-fucking-hoo. You want a medal? A cake? Not everyone gets to have that life. Some people choose the other life, some people get chosen by it. And some of us just get left behind by everything that ever cared about us, and just had to make do.

"You are the one walking around like you got somewhere better to be, Lou. Your job is to clean up messes, yeah? My job is to make sure certain messes don't happen. And you made a mess that I am going to have to clean up."

Billy straightens up from the table, his expression still exhausted. He rests the palms of his hands on the table, and keeps his eyes on Lou.

"Faith without doubt isn't healthy, Lou. It's how mistakes get made, and how people get hurt. The next Burning Sky is coming, Lou. And you need to be ready for it."
sndwurks

Postby Eden Jones » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:11 pm

For the last few minutes, Eden has been leaning against a nearby wall, silently watching the conversation as it grows progressively more heated. Eventually, she decides to speak up.

"Huh. Two of my favorite people in town are at each other's throats." she says almost casually. "How about that?"

Without waiting for an invitation, she strolls over and sits down at the table. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the part where I remind y'all that you both make invaluable contributions to this town, that as far as I know you're both on the same side," the warmth and genuine friendliness of her smile stand in contrast to her next words, "and you both need to dial it the fuck back and figure out a way to work together or at the very least not trample on each other's toes because we have bigger shit to deal with."

"So," she continues, still smiling, "got any interesting plans for the weekend?"
“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”
― Winston Churchill
Eden Jones

Postby Wolfman2006 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:26 pm

"Dissent in the wrong time and place is a very powerful tool and has been the spark that has led to many a destructive fire."

The voice comes from a table nearby Eden where the tired teacher sits down pouring over assignments to be graded. Malcolm looks up with an unhappy smile, and adjusts his glasses before continuing.

"I hope you give Miss Jones' advice some thought gentleman, or at least you resolve this before any such plans this weekend. I imagine such conflict would serve others quite well, for if there was ever a time we need to unified it is very soon."
Mason Fell
Played by Adam Hurley
AKA:Father Solomon Sahaal, Berek Son of Bjorn, Acerbus-Nox, Mugthar, Abraham Hawthorne, Malcolm Hunt
Wolfman2006

Postby ronfiction » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:28 pm

A single thing Billy says has caught Lou's attention, seemingly ignoring the people cutting in.

"What mess have I made? Lay it on me, I wanna hear this."
ronfiction

Postby sndwurks » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:16 pm

With a glance towards the other two people whom have joined their heated conversation, Billy takes a breath. He weighs his words carefully, and makes sure to meet Lou's gaze.

"Something my uncle Charlie once told me when I was real low, Lou," says Billy with a shrug. "Everyone wants to go to Heaven, but no one wants to die. If you're going to start a fight, Lou, you best be ready when the time comes to finish it."

With that, Billy turns towards Eden, and gives another cheerful smile that tries to reach his eyes but simply fails to do so. He can only fake cheerfulness so much.

"Hopefully, I'll be able to get some good sleep. I have been having some pretty bad dreams lately. You know how it is, though. Just that time of year. November's a real killer month."

Just a hint of teeth in that grin, and Billy glances towards Malcolm. No words for the teacher in that, just a nod of acknowledgement. He turns back towards Lou after all that and gives another nod.

"I know it's a bullshit answer to your question, Lou, but that's all I can give you for the moment. I'd ask for you to trust me, but quite frankly? You and me are past asking. You either do it, or you don't. That's all. If you need me, Lou, you know where to find me."

With that, Billy is standing and pushing away from the table. He turns to begin making his way to the exit.
sndwurks

Postby ronfiction » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:44 pm

Lou's rising temper peaked but before he lost it, it clicked with what Billy was getting at. Lou had picked a fight of sorts, and he had to be ready to finish it. The man in the Hawaiian shirt had a good point, and although his fashion sense was not to be trusted, he was an other wise solid guy. Lou watched him go, anger fading and then was able to focus on the other two who had intervened.

"Ah yeah... I ah..."

Lou seems at a loss for words and just rubbed his forehead some.
ronfiction

Postby Wolfman2006 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:05 am

Malcolm gives a familiar nod to Billy as he departs. Many mysteries in that one; some deep, others only just below the surface. A man of loyalty towards his people if nothing else, and one who takes his responsibilities seriously. Respectable, hell likeable even.

Giving Lou a friendly smile before doing the same for Eden. He offers a hand invitingly towards the empty seats across from him.

"Care to join me for a spell? I admit I am basically just doing busy work, but I find keeping one's self busy is perhaps the only reliable way to stay sane. Nothing worse than the calm before the store as they say."
Mason Fell
Played by Adam Hurley
AKA:Father Solomon Sahaal, Berek Son of Bjorn, Acerbus-Nox, Mugthar, Abraham Hawthorne, Malcolm Hunt
Wolfman2006

PreviousNext

Return to AAA Diner