[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4771: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
Occams Razor • View topic - Question on Thrown Weapons

Question on Thrown Weapons

Question on Thrown Weapons

Postby Casidhe Cool » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:22 pm

Quick and possibly dumb question on thrown weapons.

Can you be carrying a melee weapon in your off hand when throwing a thrown weapon? For example, I have a baseball bat, I also wish to throw a thrown weapon which are in a bag at my hip. Must a I drop the bat to the ground before I can reach into my bag grab a thrown weapon and throw it? Then retrieve my bat? (since single long /thrown weapon isn't listed as it's own combination anywhere)

It seems a bit unrealistic and clunky; in real life one would just transfer the bat to their off hand and throw before gripping the bat more firmly again. I think it makes sense that you can't parry/block or swing with the bat while a thrown weapon is also being held, but must the bat be dropped completely while handing a thrown weapon?
Casidhe Cool

Re: Question on Thrown Weapons

Postby Jacob » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:28 pm

For the sake of giving you an answer before the game: no, you don't have to drop the bat completely. This ruling may be revisited or expounded upon as we, the staff, get a chance to actually kick the can around and figure it out.

Thanks!
Jacob

Postby Nick Sleet » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:20 pm

I would like to add guns to that equation; same principle, can I fire a gun while using a throwing dagger as a stabilizer in my off hand, or hold a gun in the off hand while throwing? I'll keep an eye out for your general response to the issue when y'all have a chance to poke at it.
Nick Sleet - Private Investigator, Diogenes Club

"Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it's going to have to try harder to do me in..."
Nick Sleet

Postby Jacob » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:01 pm

If it's a one handed weapon I suppose?
Jacob

Postby Casidhe Cool » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:38 pm

What does, "while using a throwing dagger as a stabilizer in my off hand" mean? Are you asking if you can shoot and throw at the same time?

And separately, does this mean I can block/parry/swing more or less while I throw as well? (assuming of course my melee weapon was 1-handed)
Casidhe Cool

Postby Jacob » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:09 am

Well that's the thing. You can't DO with both hands at the same time, but we're trying to be civil and not make people actually empty their hands...
Jacob

Postby HecateSkivvy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:02 am

Unless otherwise stated, one should assume one may only use one proficiency at a time. When you throw your whatchamahoozits at the guy, it's probably okay to have the bat in your other hand as long as you are not actively using the thing. Best way to do it, in my opinion, is to treat it like you're playing a video game; sure, you can have everything on you at the same time but it's awful difficult to coordinate shooting the guy with your needler while also wielding your gravity hammer. Picture yourself throwing actual throwing knives/shooting an actual gun at someone with a baseball bat in your off-hand - it wouldn't be so easy. This stuff requires coordination - and most of our "equipment" would actually be cumbersome super heavy in real life.

Whatever you do, make sure it's apparent that whatever you do you're doing only one thing at a time - unless you have a skill that says otherwise.
Leslie-Evan Marshall,
"Dance, Puppet, Dance!"
HecateSkivvy

Postby Nick Sleet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:51 pm

To clarify, what I meant was not shooting and throwing at the same time, but rather holding a dagger in one hand while shooting with the other (generally I'll cross my wrists for stability so that's what I meant by stabilization).

But yeah, I agree that in the spirit of things it makes more sense to just do one thing at a time. It's a lot easier for me to put the dagger away than someone with a sword (plus isn't there a sword and gun style in the headers somewhere?)
Nick Sleet - Private Investigator, Diogenes Club

"Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it's going to have to try harder to do me in..."
Nick Sleet

Return to Rules Questions