[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4771: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
Occams Razor • View topic - Cosmetic Modifications to Firearms

Cosmetic Modifications to Firearms

Cosmetic Modifications to Firearms

Postby PhilFromAccounting » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:52 am

Heyo,

In the rules it says that Rifles embody any and all 'long arm' - assault rifles, battle rifles, and submachine guns - and that when using a Retaliator that you must have both the stock and barrel extension attached in order for it to be considered a Rifle. This makes sense, especially when considering that a stripped down Retaliator can be used as a pistol.

My question is this - can I modify/use a homemade barrel extension to shorten the length of the barrel, making it look more like a submachine gun? There wouldn't be any modifications to the internals, jut a purely cosmetic change for in-game purposes.
Phillip Gormley

You may remember me from such roles as: Agent Leonard Lawson (Lovecraft Legacies), "Doctor" Marcel Montet (Clockwork Skies)
PhilFromAccounting

Re: Cosmetic Modifications to Firearms

Postby Jacob » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:57 am

That gets squiffy. It has to be very obviously recognizable as what it represents. Furthermore, while you can add to the length of the barrel, replacing the barrel can do undesirable things to projectile velocities. You can chance cutting down the barrel extension and seeing if that does it for you, but please don't just slap in a snub bit of PVC piping--that way madness lies.
Jacob

Postby PhilFromAccounting » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:00 am

If I attempt such a thing I'll make sure to test it out and that the performance isn't altered in any way. And, of course, I yield to any and all weapon checks! Safety and the spirit of the game always come before a neat looking weapon. Thanks for the response!
Phillip Gormley

You may remember me from such roles as: Agent Leonard Lawson (Lovecraft Legacies), "Doctor" Marcel Montet (Clockwork Skies)
PhilFromAccounting

Postby illuminatisvie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:16 am

A friend of mine from another game had luck with snubbing down an existing barrel. He had better luck with that than with adding his own barrel. You have to get things lined up perfectly in order to not have the darts skim along the new barrel. Which would cause them to lose velocity or veer off awkwardly.

Before snubbing the barrel you'll want to make sure you lock the inner barrel down while it's channeled properly to make sure it stays aligned properly. You can do this by opening up the barrel extension and use a bit of epoxy putty to hold the inner barrel in place around where you'll be sawing the barrel extension.
illuminatisvie

Postby Jacob » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:28 pm

Do what this man says. <nodsnods>
Jacob

Postby PhilFromAccounting » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:37 pm

I'll give it a shot and see how it turns out! Thanks for the pointers.
Phillip Gormley

PhilFromAccounting

Postby Madrigus » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:39 pm

I discovered that if you put the Specter's barrel extension and stock onto the Retaliator it looks like an Uzi.
"Desperation will turn any mortal to the darkest secrets hidden in the darkest vaults."
-Madrigus (Brendan)
[*Deadbolt from Lost Eidolons]

Point Total: 2,650
Madrigus

Postby PhilFromAccounting » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:44 pm

I was considering fiddling with other Nerf parts, like the Raider's telescoping stock to give a carbine feel. It'll take some experimentation!
Phillip Gormley

PhilFromAccounting

Postby edseel » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:45 pm

JD Walker

"I put one foot in front of the other one.
I don’t need a new love or a new life – just a better place to die."

Isles: Citizen Reed Adderbourne - Sentinel of Spark
LL: "Vivian Marsh" Wang-Johnson Memorial Circus

IRL: Eric
edseel

Return to Rules Questions