[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4771: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
Occams Razor • View topic - Basic Questions from a Larp Noob

Basic Questions from a Larp Noob

Basic Questions from a Larp Noob

Postby Remy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Hello All!

New potential player here. I had some questions if anyone had a moment to answer. I've done some reading and digging on the forums here, but I am having issues finding answers to these questions below.

1. So, I'm tinkering with the character creator. I was trying to grab 2 abilities out of the telekinesis racials, but after I grabbed Force Shield, it wouldn't let me take Psychokinetic Wall...saying I didn't have enough points even though I have enough CP. I assume it is because I don't have a second "FR", but I'm not sure what that is or how you get more.

2. Do I need to take Marksmanship in order to use a gun, or does that just allow me to use a gun more efficiently?

3. What are "Void" points for?

4. What are the purpose of research pools?

5. Some skills talk about "once per reset". How often do those occur?

6. For my Force Shield buckler, does it need to be a certain size?

7. If I wanted to use a sword, does it have to be classified as "boffer", or do they just have to be foam larp (or prop) swords?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Remy Vorender
Remy

Re: Basic Questions from a Larp Noob

Postby Deeg » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi Remy,

1. You can find the Fractured Reality skills under the Psychic section in the creator. Buying one of those skills will allow for the purchase of another two Psychic abilities before you'll need to buy another Fractured Reality skill.

2. Marksmanship allows you to use a gun more. When firing a gun, you can either spend a point of Fire or a point or Marksmanship, so if you have 3 Fire and 5 Marksmanship, you could fire a gun 8 times per reset.

3. Void can be spent to reset your attributes and per-reset skills. You can read more on page 33 of the .

4. Research is performed between events, where you can submit questions to staff to try and have them answered. You have to spend at least one point from a research pool on a question, so having more points means you can either research more topics per event, or get more details about a single question. Basically, choosing to divide your points between many questions or focus all your points on one.

5. Per Reset is based on how many points of Void you have. You start game with a full reset and then you may spend up to your maximum void to gain more resets. so if you have 3 Void, you would have 4 resets over the course of an event.

If you have any more questions, or I didn't explain something well, let me know!

-Deeg
Deeg
Site Admin

Postby Remy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks so much Deeg. Great explanations. I snuck a 6 and a 7 in there while you were typing I think.

For resets, do you just have to call "Reset"? Is there a cooldown on Reset? and by event, you mean the entire weekend?

It also makes me curious how your skill usage is tracked. Is there a guy following you around feverishly typing on a tablet or something?
Remy

Postby Joe Eveler » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:32 pm

Been doing a little bit of studying on the rules, hit me up and I can walk you through some.
Subject 42
Joe Eveler

Postby Remy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:35 pm

Get out of my thread Joe! ROFL. Thanks man I will.

I'm really starting to get my head around the rules now. the "Fractured Reality" skill allowance was throwing me for a loop. We are going to have to set up some times to go through some practice combat so I can get a feel for what will be going on.
Remy

Postby Jacob » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:41 pm

6 and 7 are both answered under the combat prop construction section of the rulebook--latex weapons are discouraged and almost certain to be turned down during weapon safety check. Proper construction methods and dimensions for weapons are laid out.

I believe Matt answered your question regarding Resets by pointing you towards page 33 of the rulebook (specifically, end of the 2nd paragraph under Attributes). Event or Session means "one time you drive to a campsite, spend money, and play the larp, which could be a single day or an entire weekend."

Skill usage is on an honor system--you have to track your own attribute expenditure. Flip side, if you get caught using skills you don't have or taking 127 points of damage before falling down... <shrug> The whole game runs on an honor system. Cheat at your own risk. That's not meant to scare you--everybody is new sometime, and we're understanding of things like that. People who intentionally abuse the system, though, will be politely asked to stop, and recidivists will be politely told to leave.
Jacob

Postby Remy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Thank you Jacob. I guess that's what I get for only skimming through the rulebook before asking questions. I'll continue reading it..
Remy

Postby Joe Eveler » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Yeah, I had to jump back and forth between the OR Beta Rule Book and Accelerant Rule Book.
Subject 42
Joe Eveler

Postby Remy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:19 pm

I just now discovered that their was an OR rulebook. I had only read the Accelerant one...

I bet that'll help. :)
Remy

Postby Remy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:50 pm

OK, digging in the OR rulebook now.

Gone with the Blastwave
4cp,1fr
WW
FOOM! You may spend WW to call "By My Gesture, Slam by Force." You must immediately drop the gesture once the attack is acknowledged in some manner. You may use this skill only on targets which are within 5 paces or so— long distance gesture attacks are dicey at best, so try to choose targets facing and aware of you.

Does this ability do any damage, is it a timed stun, or just knock someone on their rear end?
Remy

Next

Return to Rules Questions