Outside the Cafeteria

Outside the Cafeteria

Postby DeputyDirectorWhite » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:48 am

Deputy Director White stands, waiting patiently, occasionally rocking back on his heels. His breath clouds in the cold air, and his trench coat is buttoned up.
DeputyDirectorWhite

Re: Outside the Cafeteria

Postby Henry Gondorf » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:16 pm

Henry wakes up from his nap with a snort when it finally dawned on him there was someone nearby. He raised his cap to see who the newcomer was. Seeing it as the suit from way back on the bus, he could not resist whistling a few notes of hail to the chief.
People come to me looking for the truth as it suits them. They look for a happy ending to their troubles. Too bad for them. I don't do happy. As to putting an end to things, The Truth often does a fine job with out me.
Henry Gondorf

Postby PoeticJustice » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:44 pm

She'd gotten to the point where she could at least be in there long enough to eat before she needed to escape. Too many people. Too easy for accidental touches. She went in as early as they'd let her, got her food as soon as it was available, and then fled to some part of the Quarantine zone that had less people in it.

She didn't even really take notice of the Deputy Director. There were so many people so much of the time that she's adjusted to just ignoring them as much as she was able as she moved from place to place.
If this is to end in fire
Then we should all burn together
Watch the flames climb high into the night
Calling out for the rope, sent by and we will
Watch the flames burn on and on the mountain side hey
PoeticJustice

Postby DeputyDirectorWhite » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:54 pm

"Mr. Gondorf," the Deputy Director smiles and nods, a bit of honest amusement creeping into his eyes.
"Ah! And hello, Ms. von Schaffenburg. Just who I was looking for." His smile broadens a bit, still perfectly genuine, and he takes a carefully inoffensive half-step forward, towards the young woman.

"I'm not sure we've been properly introduced. I'm Deputy Director White of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. I'm sorry to trouble you, but I've been told that you've missed a couple of appointments with Dr. Kennigan. I realize this isn't the most ideal place for dealing with a new doctor. That can be an unsettling circumstance at the best of times," he nods, somewhat gravely. "I remember when I was young, I wasn't overly fond of the first time I went to a new dentist. But you know what? The dental hygienist at the desk was a very kind woman. She saw me fretting and started talking to me, told some stories and jokes. When it was my turn, she walked me into the room, and kept talking to me, and I was laughing so hard I practically fell out of the chair. To this day, I can't say I look forward to my twice-annual cleanings, but I also find myself laughing on my way to an appointment when I remember. Anyway, what say you and I go see Dr. Kennigan together. I could probably do with another round of test, so you can watch what she does with me, and then I'll stick around and keep you company when it's your turn. How does that sound?" The Deputy Director smiles again and tilts his head towards the medical tent. "Shall we go?"
DeputyDirectorWhite

Postby PoeticJustice » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:19 pm

It wasn't the name that drew her attention. Her eyes flickered towards the figure stepping towards her and then, as she realized she was being addressed, she drew to a slow stop. The early words "Dr. Kennigan" caused her eyes to narrow to a slit, her posture shifting from one of surveying to one of defensive energy. Weight went from one leg to the other as she listened to the story. One hand drifted to her arm where she rubbed the inside of her elbow faintly.

Her eyes drifted from the Deputy Director to the medical tent, taking an almost involuntary half step backwards. She looked back at him and then shook her head.

"No," she said, firmly. She turned to go, as if that would simply be that, before pausing and glancing back. "Thank you," she said, grudgingly.
PoeticJustice

Postby DeputyDirectorWhite » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:56 pm

Three pinpricks of red light spring up, one on the young woman's forehead, two more over her heart.

White's eyes widen very slightly, and he takes a step, blocking the beams with his body. Gloved hands out, open, and empty, his smile fades a bit, but his face remains earnest.

"I'm afraid I have to ask that you reconsider. You, like everyone else here, may have been exposed to a biological agent of unknown origin and effect. As a matter of public safety, as well as for your own good, you must undergo Dr. Kennigan's tests. I wish there was another way, but, unfortunately, the good people running this facility are rather insistent. I'm doing what I can, but that's a sticking point for them."
DeputyDirectorWhite

Postby PoeticJustice » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:01 pm

Interesting development, Alice sees the red dots on her chest, looking down at them and frowning before they disappear due to White's interference. One could almost see her doing the math, studying her surroundings and looking for the sources of the red dots. She didn't seem particularly concerned, instead looking as if she was trying to puzzle out a particularly difficult math problem.

"Modern Medicine is against my religion," she says quietly, looking White in the eye, before beginning to study him intently, taking in every shift in his body language and tone.
PoeticJustice

Postby Wolfman2006 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:44 pm

Mason steps out of the cafeteria and pauses catching most of the exchange, wearing a weary concerned smile.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but Alice they may not allow you to leave if you refuse to be examined. I've been putting it off myself, if you'd like I'll go first? I'm sure they will be respectful, Deputy Director White hasn't let anyone down yet, I doubt he will start now."
Mason Fell
Played by Adam Hurley
AKA:Father Solomon Sahaal, Berek Son of Bjorn, Acerbus-Nox, Mugthar, Abraham Hawthorne, Malcolm Hunt
Wolfman2006

Postby Henry Gondorf » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:04 pm

Henry noticed the sudden change in the situation along with the rise in tension. He arched an eyebrow with he heard the mention of enforced medical treatment. Out came the Imperial March from Star Wars in a lower key.
People come to me looking for the truth as it suits them. They look for a happy ending to their troubles. Too bad for them. I don't do happy. As to putting an end to things, The Truth often does a fine job with out me.
Henry Gondorf

Postby PoeticJustice » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:12 pm

"It's not me I'm worried about, Fell," she murmured quietly to him, not taking her eyes off the Deputy Director or the sources of the three red dots.

The math was still being done in her head, her eyes darting around, looking for cover or escape routes. She was unarmed, thanks to everyone who told her she should stash the gun before things got messy. Too far to get to, at least with three snipers on her. And Three was too many. One, maybe two. But three, at this range? Unless she Screamed... But that would only help for so long and there would be other big men with guns. No. Three was too many. Especially unarmed. Maybe if she took a human shield... But that would be unforgivable. Besides, these men were quick to point red dots at people, a human shield probably wouldn't slow them down very long if at all. A high enough caliber and the shield wouldn't slow the bullets down either.

She waited, hoping to see whether her religion excuse would cut it. It clearly had in the past with situations that involved people insisting she go see doctors. But that wasn't the Federal Bureau of Investigations. Those weren't people who pointed red dots at people.

She shifted from one foot to the other, and then to the other, agitation beginning to build up in her. She glanced towards the medical tent and paled slightly, swallowing heavily. Three high caliber sniper rifles being pointed at her didn't rattle her in the slightest, but just the thought of entering the tent made her break out in a cold sweat.

She slowly, nonthreateningly, reached up to tuck some hair behind her ear, leaving her hand hovering casually by her temple.
PoeticJustice

Next

Return to Quarantine Zone