[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4771: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3826)
Occams Razor • View topic - Doctor's Appointment

Doctor's Appointment

Re: Doctor's Appointment

Postby sndwurks » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:22 pm

((After a brief IM conversation...))

Billy approaches the tent shortly after the Deputy Director left. He pokes his head back inside, glancing between the priest and the marshal. He lifts a brow slightly, and takes a step into the tent. He glances at the lawyer, his expression showing a failed attempt to place her face, before turning his attention towards Ellie.

"I can... come back again... later?" he offers, words deliberately nebulous. The mysterious Later, the mythical time when bills get paid, chores get done, and apologies are given. It seems that Billy is eager to move his appointment into that undiscovered country, and allow the others gathered to cut in front of him.

"If you want," he adds a moment later, trying not to sound too hopeful for another merciful delay.
sndwurks

Postby Ellie Kennigan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:58 pm

[GM Note: For clarification, the tent effectively has a pair of rooms--a tiny waiting room with folding chairs (where Antalya is now) at the front and the exam room itself. When there's been no one in the "waiting room," people have come right into the exam room.]

After making a pleasant apology to the doctor and everyone else, Father Ashmore follows Alice out of the tent.

With Billy returning just after Fell's question, Ellie shakes her head at the Deputy Marshal. "Mr. Fell, thanks for your help with the girl. I really do appreciate it. But this guy's got an appointment, and I've got a schedule to try to keep. I'll see you right after if I can." Singular of purpose, she hefts the cot from where Alice had toppled it back up onto its feet, quickly sterilizes it, and replaces its covering without reaction to any of the other commotion.

"As for you, Billy St. Francis, it's your turn. Your time comes one way or another," Ellie repeats rather more darkly than she might have intended, clearly still venting irritation at recent events. "Sooner we do the exam, the sooner it's over with."
Eleanor R. Kennigan, M.D.
Whisper Hill
Ellie Kennigan

Postby sndwurks » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:11 pm

Glancing around the waiting room, and moving past into the exam room, Billy shoots a hopeful glance towards Fell. It is a look that sings out to be rescued from doctors and needles, with just enough resignation there to belie any actual hope of escape. Billy's time has come, but he's still dragging his feet a bit.

"'Tis a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done," quotes Billy with a hint of an ironic grin. He glances once again around the examination room, and focuses on Ellie. "Do I have to fill out my paperwork again?"
sndwurks

Postby Ellie Kennigan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:46 am

[GM Note: The following play of Fell done with Adam's permission!]

At Billy's reluctant return, Fell rises and leaves the exam room, wishing the other man luck.

"Spare me the dramatics," Ellie says flatly, though her expression shows a hint of cheering up. "I'm sure you'd love to waste some more time doing the damn form over again, but too bad. Siddown," she commands, pointing at the cot. Then she proceeds to walk into the corner of it while heading for a new chart. She glares at the rebellious piece of equipment... And puts her glasses back on.

"William, right?" She doesn't wait for him to answer before scrawling his name across a chart. "What's got you bugged about this? Y'don't seem as... fragile as a couple others who've come through. I might start to develop a complex."
Whisper Hill
Ellie Kennigan

Postby sndwurks » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:33 pm

"I have... a history with doctors," says Billy with a rueful grin. He takes a seat on the cot, settling slightly and trying to relax. "And yeah. William Wallace St. Francis. Long story."

He takes a deep breath, and reaches up to scratch lightly at one of the scars tracing the edges of his face.

"Generally, I don't get sick, so I don't have to see doctors," offers Billy after a moment. "But when I do... they generally get angry at me. Apparently, I'm a frustrating patient. I've got... a lot of scar tissue. House fire when I was a kid. Burned over seventy percent of my body, or something. I was basically more in than out of the hospital from age six to nine, and the skin grafts are... apparently really misleading?"

He gives a shrug, with a bit of a helpless look. He holds out his wrist to Ellie, and it is lined with darkened patches and odd puckering at the joints.

"Go ahead. Try to find my pulse. Or a vein to tap for the blood sample. I've had more than a dozen needles break off in my arm over the years. I'm not afraid of them, but they still hurt."
sndwurks

Postby Ellie Kennigan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:20 pm

Ellie firmly takes the proffered wrist in hand and examines his arm, letting out a low whistle. "Sorry to hear about the fire," she says, stretching the skin in places. "I assume your other arm's the same? Not gonna sugar coat it for you--definitely will make things more difficult, but we'll make something work one way or another. If I were allowed to skip blood work..." Ellie releases his arm with a shrug and gathers a few extra supplies for the rolling tray. "But let's do the easy stuff first, ehn?" It looks like an attempt to give her patient time to relax, and she shines a light in his eyes.
Whisper Hill
Ellie Kennigan

Postby sndwurks » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:21 pm

"They've had luck, once, drawing blood from one of the veins on my left foot," says Billy with enough humor in his tone to make it possibly only a joke. "And... thanks for the sympathy, but I honestly can't remember it. I don't like fire and I don't... generally... like doctors, but that's about it. I spent enough time in burn wards to consider myself lucky. I can grow a beard. I have both my eyes. All fingers and toes accounted for, and I can actually feel through them. The skin grafts alone were so cutting edge that I made at least two careers in Boston. I'm told I'm a miracle of modern science... just a frustrating one to get in your office for a check up."

He rubs his wrist slightly around the puckered scarring, and tries to relax. He holds himself still to let Ellie shine the light in his eyes, cooperating with the examination as much as he can.

"So, that's why I was a little hoping I could get out of this today. Wasn't any way this could go easy for either of us."
sndwurks

Postby Ellie Kennigan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:55 pm

As Billy talks, Ellie listens, nods as appropriate, and runs through a basic checklist. When she's checked his eyes, she moves on to his ears, checks his reflexes and blood pressure, though the last one is with some difficulty. "The Feds aren't really keen on letting anyone get out of it. I had an exam myself, like I said. Director White's been through at least once. Containment of contagion, public health risk, blah blah. As a doctor myself, I can't argue with 'em too much on that point, much as I'd like."

She pauses with the stethoscope over his heart and a hand on his back. "And breathe." Another pause, listening. "Y'know, we could make it worth it for you and have them run your numbers off this blood sample while they're looking for whatever the hell it is. One less stick later on, and you already said you never see doctors. Health's important. Forewarned is forearmed, and all that."
Whisper Hill
Ellie Kennigan

Postby sndwurks » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:33 pm

"What, I can't just tell them that, no really, I don't get sick?" asks Billy with a bit of a grin. "I drink a lot of water, and quit smoking in my teens. Probably could use drinking a little less coffee, but hazards of the profession."

He follows the requests dutifully, being as cooperative as possible. When told to breathe, he takes a deep breath, letting it out slowly. He does it a second time out of habit, and lifts an eyebrow slightly.

"If you can get a good sample of my blood, go for it," he offers with a rueful chuckle. "I agree with you on the health being important, but the worst I've ever had was the occasional headache. And a seasonal cold. Aside from, you know, the burns."
sndwurks

Postby Ellie Kennigan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:31 pm

"Well, could be that you paid for it all up front," she gestures at a scar and shrugs, "so all's left is headaches. Y'never know though." After finishing with some notes on the chart, Dr. Kennigan sets it aside with a bit of an exhale. "I've gotta try this blood draw now, and I might have to a few times. I'll try not to hurt you. Some people don't like to be warned, some people want to talk the whole time, some people want me to talk the whole time, some people want silence. What'll it be?"
Whisper Hill
Ellie Kennigan

PreviousNext

Return to Quarantine Zone