The Deputy Director's Office

Re: The Deputy Director's Office

Postby PoeticJustice » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:57 pm

It was a few hours after the entire kerfuffle when the door to the Deputy Director's door was opened without the simple etiquette of a knock.

Alice stood in the door frame wordlessly, eyes flicking around the inside of the office looking for other warm bodies. Her eyes then sought out White. Her posture wasn't aggressive, but it was tense.
If this is to end in fire
Then we should all burn together
Watch the flames climb high into the night
Calling out for the rope, sent by and we will
Watch the flames burn on and on the mountain side hey
PoeticJustice

Postby DeputyDirectorWhite » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:12 am

Having been staring off into space for a moment, the Deputy Director snaps back to the here and now.

"Right! Yes, sorry, thank you for stopping by Mr. Gondorf! Terribly sorry about that," he calls after the retreating figure. "Hello Ms. von Schaffenburg. How may I help you?" He winces slightly. "And how's the head?"
DeputyDirectorWhite

Postby PoeticJustice » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:15 am

Alice watched Henry go with a slow nod, and then closed the door quiently and leaned against the frame, out of the way of interrupting the door if it went to open. Her arms crossed in front of her.

"It's fine," she said dismissively, her voice quiet. "I just wanted to say that I understand why you did what you did, and I meant it when I said it was not about you also getting an appointment or showing me it was alright. I am not... upset or holding any sort of grudge."

The words were robotic and carefully chosen, but did not seem to be holding any sort of deception, especially from a girl who was such an abysmal liar. What they seemed to be, more than anything else, was distant. Because as she spoke she studied his face intently, as if looking to commit it to memory or peer past it into the depths of the Deputy Director's core. There was certainly an intensity to her, but it did not seem any more aggressive than most actions she took.
PoeticJustice

Postby DeputyDirectorWhite » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:41 pm

White gives a small smile.

"Well, I'm certainly glad you understand I was performing my duty. I am not one to hide behind an excuse such as 'I was just following orders.' That sort of thinking leads to some very dark places. I stand by my actions. That said, if there had been another way, I would have taken it. And I am sorry about the head. I've no idea if Dr. Kennigan had anything more suitable on hand, but I might have some aspirin in here somewhere," the Deputy Director starts rummaging around in his desk. "Also, I won't pry into your reasoning, but if you feel you need someone to talk to, or that there is some danger to the community of which I should be aware, I hope you'll see fit to share." He bobs up from behind the desk. "Right! Here," he puts a few individually sealed packets of aspirin on the table. "Unfortunately, they didn't want me bringing bottles of... well, anything, really, in with me, but they did let me have these. If you'd like any, feel free." White gives a friendly smile.
DeputyDirectorWhite

Postby PoeticJustice » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:07 pm

She didn't approach the desk to take the packets, but rather remained by the door.

"I don't usually handle doctor's visits very well. Something about trauma in my past, or so they tell me..." she continued looking at his face. "If there's ever another.... problem in the future... with me... Having someone there that I'm comfortable with could go a long way towards ensuring that my fear does not... interrupt what you need to do and lead to... uncomfortable situations like earlier." For just a second a touch of disgust flickers across her face. "I have had someone asking me every few minutes how my head is..." She shook it. "And... well... people are uncomfortable. Restless. I don't actually want to be a problem, nor cause one. It was not my intention to do so. But I might... handle situations that make me uncomfortable better if, say, Father Ashmore was there?"
PoeticJustice

Postby DeputyDirectorWhite » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:59 pm

"I'll try to keep that in mind. And I can certainly understand being restless--seems like we've been cooped up in here for ages. I have it on reasonably good authority that we're getting out soon, though!" He offers a grin. "Something to look forward to. So what's the first thing you plan to do when we get out of here? I think I'll probably try to hunt down a decent cup of coffee. Chef does the best he can with what he has, but they aren't giving him much..."
DeputyDirectorWhite

Postby PoeticJustice » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:31 pm

She considered that for a moment, frowning.

"I... honestly don't know," she admitted, seeming off balance from the question. "I think find a place out of the way and sit alone. There are.... a lot of people in a very small space."

She studied his face for a long few seconds, frowning. "Who are you, outside of here?" she asked, a touch of suspicion in her voice.
PoeticJustice

Postby DeputyDirectorWhite » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:26 am

"I'm not entirely sure I understand the question, Ms. von Schaffenburg." The Deputy Director looks mildly, if genially, puzzled. "I'm the same person outside this place as I am inside. I am Deputy Director White of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. If you mean 'do I act differently outside than inside,' I'd like to say no. If you don't stand by your principles when the going gets rough, you can't really claim to have principles at all, can you? Take the Dalai Lama, for example. Absolutely fascinating person. Look at the wisdom he's brought to the world even while exiled from his homeland. Quite remarkable really. While I can hardly claim to be so wise as that, I do strive to persevere and act according to my duties and personal ethos as best I can, regardless of circumstances. Morality shouldn't be a convenience. Does that answer your question?"
DeputyDirectorWhite

Postby PoeticJustice » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:33 am

She listened with an expression that only read as wary. Her chin lifted slightly and she glanced towards the door.

"It's Ms. White, by the way. Alice White," she pushed some stray hair behind her ear. "I, uh, changed my name." The words were flat and seemed to the conviction and intensity of, well, most other interactions with her.

There seemed to be more she wanted to say, but then reconsidered. She turned towards the door without another word.
PoeticJustice

Postby DeputyDirectorWhite » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:26 am

"Ms. White, you say? I'll be sure to update my files. Well, thank you for stopping by, and I hope the rest of your day goes well. If you have any other concerns, my proverbial door," he gestures at the tent flap, "is always open."
DeputyDirectorWhite

PreviousNext

Return to Quarantine Zone